Wednesday, February 6, 2008

U.S. Constitution - Discussion Series: Frame Work

As I have watched the struggle for the Republican Nomination this year between Mitt Romney and John McCain, it struck me that too few of my fellow countrymen understand these very documents defining our freedoms. It prompted me to review these precious documents. I have decided to post a short commentary on the United States Constitution and other documents of Founding importance, like the Bill of Rights and letters of our founding fathers.

I have decided to start with the first Ten Amendments to the Constitution of the United States. This is one is the most important Amendment and it is protected by the Second Amendment. Several of the Amendments are composed of very diverse subjects in and as such in an effort not to short change their importance I will break them up into smaller sections.

So without further adieu, the U.S. Constitution - Amendment I

  • Freedom of Religion, Press, Expression Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

How sublime! The Freedom of Religion is given the position of honor and power as the first of the ideals to be protected. While many Americans do not associate themselves with any religion what so ever, there are countless millions who do. Why is this principle "The Freedom of Religion" required for the Freedom and Liberty our Founding Fathers sought to establish?

That is the question I will discuss in detail in my next post.

No comments: